Monday 5 March 2012

Brouwerij St. Bernardus Pater 6

Good evening all. My visit to London over the weekend gave me the opportunity to visit the Utobeer stand at Borough Market, which is probably one of my favourite places to go whenever I'm in the area. I picked up a bottle of Thornbridge Bracia, a beer I've heard very good things about, and St. Bernardus Pater 6, a Dubbel from Brouwerij St. Bernardus. The place was packed so, in the spirit of continuing my Belgian beer quest this year, I picked the first interesting-looking Belgian beer I could and got out of there! I had this yesterday afternoon to while away a boring Sunday, and finally I've gotten round to writing the review. Which is, as always, after the pic....


St. Bernardus Pater 6 (6.7% ABV) pours an amber colour with a reasonably lively off-white head that retains itself well throughout the course of the beer. There's also a bit of lacing present during the first half of the beer. The aroma was incredibly subtle at first but became more imposing as the beer warmed up, with phenols, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, malt, some sweetness and a slight sourness in the background (more Flanders Red Ale than lambic). The taste is composed of spice, phenols, malt, dark fruits, a light bittering hop character and a noticeably wheaty finish. The mouthfeel is thick with plenty of carbonation. Overall, a very decent beer in the Dubbel style that has a lot of flavour and Belgian character for such a relatively low ABV percentage. A word of warning- make sure the temperature of the beer isn't too low as the flavours are very easily masked. Definitely recommended, although Westmalle Dubbel and Trappist Achel 8° Bruin are definitely better examples of the style. 

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment