Monday 13 February 2012

Brasserie La Binchoise Belgoo Luppo

Good evening all. My weekend was fairly hectic, with two gigs and a visit to the CASK Pub and Kitchen filling up my time very nicely, so naturally I wasn't able to do any in-depth beer reviewing. The choice at the CASK was incredible as usual, and I opted for the two Mikkeller beers that were on keg that night- Hop Burn High and Swinging Harry. The former was a very resinous and bitter DIPA, whilst the latter was a Belgian Quad brewed in collaboration with Cigar City Brewing that was initially disappointing but improved greatly as it warmed up. I even managed to buy a bottle of Boogoop (Mikkeller/Three Floyds Buckwheat Wine) and a bottle of Double Bastard Ale (Stone American Strong Ale)- expect reviews in the near future. Onto tonight though, and a Belgian beer I picked up at the Utobeer market a couple of weeks ago- Belgoo Luppo from Brasserie La Binchoise. Review after the pic....


Belgoo Luppo (6.5% ABV) pours a pale golden (straw) colour with an incredibly lively white head that dissipates to a patchy covering over the surface of the beer. Be warned, I had a bottle volcano situation on my hands (and the whole kitchen worktop) as soon as I'd liberated the cap, it's that lively! The aroma is quite complex and certainly not what I was expecting, with citrus hops, spicy phenols, a vinous quality and a funky smell that reminded me of lambics or Flanders red ales. The taste is quite acidic, with spicy phenols, citrus fruits and a vinous background (dry white wine). The finish is piquant with a tart bitterness that isn't overly offensive. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light despite the heavy carbonation. Overall, a very interesting Belgian beer that is a refreshing change from the more stereotypical flavours associated with beers from that region. I still prefer the simplicity and craftsmanship of the more conservative breweries, but when you want to shake things up a bit this beer is ideal. Probably wouldn't get it again, but it's worth a try!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment