Wednesday 8 February 2012

Mikkeller/BrewDog I Hardcore You

Good evening all. Tonight's beer is I Hardcore You, a collaboration between Mikkeller and BrewDog with a difference- it's a blend of each brewery's flagship DIPA, namely Mikkeller's I Beat You and BrewDog's Hardcore IPA. In a move that you'd expect from such big names in the craft beer world, they've gone one step further by adding two extra dry hopping stages to amplify the beer even further. Since hearing about this beer a year ago I've been desperate to try it, so getting hold of a few bottles at the start of the week made me incredibly happy indeed! In regards to the individual beers from which this one was made, I've enjoyed Hardcore IPA many times before, but the closest I've got to I Beat You is a bottle currently residing in my cellar that I've yet to open. I'm thinking there may be grounds for a three beer taste test in the future, but before I entertain those thoughts it's time for the review. Which, as always, is after the pic....


I Hardcore You (9.5% ABV) pours a dark amber colour (verging on ruby) with a thick white head that dissipates gradually to a patchy covering on the surface of the beer. The aroma is full of resinous and citrus hops, with a candy sugar sweetness and a slightly vinous quality that is reminiscent of previous Mikkeller barrel-aged offerings. Hop lovers rejoice, you'll already know by this point that you're in for something spectacular! The taste is packed full of sticky piney hops, with some malt character present and a sweet caramelised aftertaste. The finish is, unsurprisingly, rather bitter and dry, and there is a flavour reminiscent of tonic water in the background. I'd describe the bitterness as biting slightly during drinking, then becoming more puckering in the finish. The mouthfeel is quite light and moderately carbonated. Overall, this is a wonderful collaboration from two of my favourite breweries, the result of which is a formidable yet balanced hop bomb with a sweet edge that offsets the bitterness nicely. It might have taken me a while to try this beer, but it was so worth it. Very highly recommended!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment