Tuesday 10 January 2012

BrewDog Prototype- Hops Kill Nazis

Good evening all. Apologies for the recent lack of activity, which can be attributed to moving back up to Guildford and coming to terms with doing proper revision for the first time in 18 months. Tonight's beer is part of the recent BrewDog Prototype series, a collection of four beers created to allow the consumers of BrewDog to choose a new addition to the core range for 2012 . I've already cast my vote as I had the opportunity to try them all at BrewDog Camden (to anyone interested, I voted for this particular beer) but since I have two left in the cellar, I might as well dignify them with a proper review! Which is exactly what will happen after the pic....


Hops Kills Nazis (7.8% ABV, and abbreviated for the rest of the review as HKN) is an amplified take on a BrewDog favourite, the hoppy amber ale 5 A.M. Saint. BrewDog did a limited release of HKN towards the end of 2011 (prior to its inclusion in the Prototype collection), and I found it to be a great beer then, so I'm hoping it will be just as good now. The beer pours a deep amber colour with a bubbly beige head that quickly dissolves to a patchy foam on the surface of the beer. The aroma is typical of an amber ale, with resinous hops, citrus and a slight sweetness in the background. The taste is fruity and piney, with a pleasing bitterness in the finish that isn't overly offensive, and some malt character in the background to compliment the overall experience. The mouthfeel is light and slightly carbonated. This is a good amber ale with plenty of rich hop flavours behind a complimentary malt backbone. I seem to remember the previous incarnation being slightly sweeter in comparison to this beer, which I preferred as it added an extra dimension to the finish. As it stands, the aftertaste can be flat and uninspired. Regardless, I still think it's a good beer and definitely the most deserving of being included in the new BrewDog range. The others are all unique and innovative, but would work better as limited releases rather than first stops for people looking to get into BrewDog's beers.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment