Monday 9 December 2013

Beer Advent Calendar 2013 Day 8 and Day 9- A Plethora of Bottles and Anchor Brewing Company Our Special Ale

Good evening all. Another lapse means another double-headed blog post; Day 8 didn't go quite as expected (see below) but Day 9 continues the tradition with Our Special Ale from Anchor Brewing Company (San Francisco, California). Tomorrow I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to do Day 10's post, so I'll see you all on Day 11 for yet another double bill! For now, review after the pic....


After a long week of lab work (following on from two weeks of fieldwork) I slammed a load of beers with a mate to celebrate, so I'm going to let the pic speak for how Day 8 went- essentially the equivalent of opening multiple advent calendar windows in one go!


Our Special Ale (5.5% ABV) pours a ruby colour with a luscious tan head that maintains itself well throughout the course of drinking. The aroma is reminiscent of a scotch ale to some extent, with caramelised sweetness, light hoppiness and some raspberry kicking around in the background. Candy canes and candied fruits also spring to mind (quite the Christmas staple in my household whilst I was growing up). Candy sugar, roasted malt, nutmeg, allspice and some toasty notes during drinking, all wrapped up in a thick, velvety mouthfeel that prevents the flavours from cloying too much. A surprisingly complex beer that I'll certainly be looking out for again next Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment